CARLSBAD MUNICIPAL SCHOOLS today announced its policy for free and reduced price meals served under the National School Lunch and/or School Breakfast Program(s). All schools and the central office have a copy of the policy, which may be reviewed by any interested party.

The following family size and annual income criteria will be used for determining eligibility:











For each additional familyMember add:

Annual Income









+ 7,992

Children from families whose income level is at or below the levels shown are eligible for free or reduced price meals.Applications may be filled out on-line at and/or Application forms are being sent to all homes, along with a letter to households.To apply for free or reduced price meals, households should fill out one application for the household and return it to the school.Additional copies are available at the principal's office in each school.Applications may be submitted at any time during the year.The information provided by the household is confidential; it will be used for the purpose of determining eligibility.Information may be verified at any time during the school year by school or other program officials.

Breakfast is provided to ALL students at Elementary and Middle Schools and High School FREE of charge.

Lunch Prices at all Elementary are full Price $2.10 & Reduced Price .40¢

Lunch Prices at Middle and High Schools are full Price $2.35 & Reduced Price .40¢

For the school officials to determine eligibility, each household that is now receiving SNAP benefits (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, formerly the Food Stamp program) or that is on the Family Independence Temporary Assistance Program (FITAP) must provide its SNAP case number or FITAP number as well as the signature of an adult household member.All other households must provide the following information on the application: names of all household members; the social security number of either the parent/guardian who is the primary wage earner, or the adult household member who signs the application, or a statement that the household member does not possess one; the amount of income (before deductions for taxes, Social Security, etc.) each household member receives; how often the person receives the income; where it is from, such as wages, retirement, or welfare; and the signature of an adult household member certifying that the information provided is correct.If a household member becomes unemployed or if the household size increases, the household should contact the school.Such changes may make the children of the household eligible for meal benefits.

Foster children who are the legal responsibility of a welfare agency or court may be eligible for benefits.If a household has foster children and wishes to apply for such meals for them, the household should contact the school for more information.


Households that receive SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, formerly the Food Stamp program) or FITAP benefits may be directly certified to receive free meals.These households are not required to complete an application, and will be notified by school officials of their eligibility.SNAP and FITAP households should complete an application if they are not notified of their eligibility by August 17, 2018.

School officials determine whether households are directly certified to receive free meals based on documentation obtained directly from the SNAP/FITAP office, which will certify that a child is a member of a household currently receiving SNAP benefits or an assistance unit receiving FITAP benefits. Households who are notified of their eligibility but do not want their children to receive free meals must contact the school.

Under the provisions of the free and reduced price policy, Lisa Rhoades and Brenda Cureton will review the applications and determine eligibility.If a parent or guardian is dissatisfied with the ruling of the official, he may wish to discuss the decision with the determining official on an informal basis.If the parent wishes to make a formal appeal, he may make either an oral or written response to the following: Lyman Graham, FSD at 408 N. Canyon, Carlsbad, NM 88220 or 575-234-3300


In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.